This got a lot of attention when it first came out, but I’ve enjoyed looking at it again. It’s the report from the Office of the Surgeon General in the US on the condition of mental health and wellbeing at work. It talks about making workplaces “engines of wellbeing” through, e.g.:
Protection from Harm:
- Prioritizing physical and psychological safety
- Enabling rest and supporting mental health
- Providing more autonomy over how work is done
- Flexible and predictable schedules
Mattering at Work:
- Involving people in workplace decisions
- Providing purpose and meaning in jobs
Connection & Community:
- Ensuring inclusion and belonging
- Fostering collaboration and teamwork
Opportunity for Growth:
- Building pathways for career advancement
- Ensuring relevant, reciprocal feedback
“Harmony” is an interesting choice of word.
There’s lots of new & interesting research on the importance of psychological safety.
I wrote in a previous post about really liking this focus on “mattering”.
Employees’ sense of connection is falling and leaders are worried about it.
Growth is an area that our own research shows is really key for a high-performance EX.
It’s a thought-provoking list!
#WellBeing #PsychologicalSafety #EmployeeExperience #OrganizationalCulture